Tuesday, March 30, 2010

'Lost boys of Sudan' Collage

Think Creatively!
Collages always seem to go well with the SLR ‘think creatively.’ I had to think how I could send a clear message through pictures and words. So, I decided to shape my collage as Sudan because I wanted my collage to represent the lost boys and the Sudanese people and I also made my six word memoir stand out more than any other thing on my collage by cutting them out in big capital black letters on the middle of my collage. I also decided to scatter all the pictures on my collage because I wanted to show ‘chaos’ and chaos is what the lost boys and the Sudanese people experienced because of a civil war.

Reason Critically!
I chose many symbolic pictures to represent many different things. One was the one with racism with a big cross over it, which means ‘stop racism, because racism is what the lost boys found difficult to come across when they migrated to America. Other pictures that are very symbolic are the pictures that show starvation, despair, hope, separation, and death. These shows my understanding of the lost boy’s situation because they have been separated from the people they love many family members did not see each other again, they went through a life of despair at such a young age, there was no sign of food because the war had brought destruction that destroyed all the food sources, they saw people dying right in front of their eyes, and finally they started to grow hope inside them because of the help they got from UN. Also, my six word memoir ‘Kill us, separate us. Why us?’ supports the collage by giving an idea of what the lost boys experienced. I also had images with words which represent the following things; no more violence, no more killing in Sudan, no more racism, no more slavery in Sudan and fear. Most of the images showed the negative part that the lost boys experienced but also some strong images that showed the positive part that the lost boys experienced. I feel I have reasoned critically by using images and words that represented the lost boys’ feelings and what experiences they went through.

Communicate Effectively!
I’ve chose 6 words that would communicate effectively to any audience. ‘Kill us, separate us. Why us?’ These words definitely create awareness for the Lost Boys’ plight because it is what they really experienced. I did not only convey message with my images and words on my collage but the design I had. I did not glue my images in a patterned way because I did not want the images that represented the same meaning in one place. Since, the lost boys’ had taken so many stepped migrations they were all confused, which also goes well with my collage because you can not see a steady idea going on. But this does not mean I just randomly glued images onto my collage. All the images I glued were the images I thought would best to create awareness for the lost boys’ plight.

Live Ethically!
I think my collage demonstrated empathy, because I used thoughtful images and words. There are images that would definitely evoke an emotional response from my viewers. There is an image of a mom and a baby crying together, a young kid who is very skinny that you can see the child’s bones, a woman crying, and a child burying his face to his knees. Also, I added images of the group/organization that is helping out Sudan so the viewers could go to the site of the organization and learn more on what’s happening in Sudan.

No comments:

Post a Comment